BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Day 6: A picture of something that makes me happy

I've shown this picture before, I believe, for Mel's weekly show & tell. (It's not the exact same pic but you get the idea.) It's worth sharing again. 'Tis the season.

The climate where I live is worse than Siberia (literally - I know people from Siberia and they say our weather is colder and snowier than what they're used to in their homeland!).

We all look forward to spring. When the weather finally eases up, as is happening while I write these words, the tulips begin their annual ritual of bursting through the soil. The green shoots don't push aside last year's dead leaves: they grow right through them.


At first, the tender shoots appear choked by the brown leaves. As the green unfurls, the yesterday's leaf shatters into frail bits and returns to the soil. The tulip's stem and leaves bear pale green marks: reminders of their former ensnared status. For a while, the flower is free.




I don't believe in hope anymore but, when I see these flowers, I can't help but feel joyful.

3 comments:

loribeth said...

I will often buy myself a bunch of tulips or daffodils for my office when I need a pick-me-up. There is something cheerful & uplifting about them. : )

Victoria said...

Yeah what is hope? Really. But I still hope.

St Elsewhere said...

Oy, I do remember that show and tell when you posted a close cousin of the first pic you have shared here.

Those flowers are such a bright spot. Lovely!